Nampa Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bicycling is an increasingly favored mode of transportation and recreation in Nampa. While biking can be a fun and healthy activity, it can also pose risks, especially when sharing the road with negligent motorists. If you suffered injuries in a bicycle accident due to a negligent driver, it is essential to speak with an experienced Nampa bicycle accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, or other losses.
At Feller & Wendt, we know how a cyclist’s life can change drastically following a bicycle accident. We have helped countless victims pursue compensation and justice for the injuries suffered due to negligence. With personalized attention and years of experience, we can build a robust claim on your behalf while you focus on recovery.
Nampa Bicycle Laws
In Nampa, there are specific laws governing the use of bicycles on public roads that serve to protect cyclists and others from accidents. Some of the key laws that cyclists should be aware of, as they can impact a bicycle accident claim, include the following:
- Helmet laws: All cyclists under 18 must wear a bike helmet. While helmets are not mandated for adult cyclists, they are strongly recommended for safety.
- Right to the road: Bicycles are considered vehicles in Idaho, so cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists.
- Riding on the roadways: Cyclists are required to ride close to the right side of the road as is practical, except when passing another cyclist, preparing to turn left, or when it is not safe to do so.
- Bicycle equipment requirements: Bicycles must have a white front light and a rear reflector visible from at least 500 feet away when riding at night.
If you were harmed in a bicycle accident in Idaho, understanding these laws can help you determine who was responsible for the accident and what legal recourse you may take. Speak with the Nampa bicycle accident attorneys at Feller & Wendt for a comprehensive case assessment.
Proving Negligence in a Bicycle Accident
In Nampa, proving negligence is imperative in determining fault in a bicycle accident. Negligence occurs when one or more parties fail to exercise reasonable care, resulting in the injury of another party. In the case of a bicycle accident, the following parties may be liable depending on the specifics of your case:
- Negligent motorist
- Bus driver
- Government entity
To prove negligence in a bicycle accident, you must gather as much evidence as possible, including witness statements, police reports, and medical records. This evidence can establish liability and the extent of the injuries you suffered.
5 Steps to Take Following a Bicycle Accident in Nampa
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 130,000 cyclists suffer injuries in accidents on the road every year. With such a prevalent risk, you must know the steps to take following a bicycle accident to protect your well-being and your rights in a bicycle accident claim, including the following:
- Stay at the accident scene: You must stay at the accident scene, inspect your injuries and help others that may have been harmed in the accident. Promptly call 911 to dispatch emergency personnel and law enforcement to the scene.
- Exchange information with the driver: Even if you think you sustained minor injuries, it is imperative to exchange information with the other driver, such as name, contact information, and insurance information.
- Gather evidence: Obtain a copy of the police report, take pictures and videos of the accident scene, speak with any eyewitnesses, and document your injuries. Collecting evidence can strengthen your bicycle accident claim later down the line.
- Contact a bicycle accident lawyer: Speaking with a lawyer before contacting your insurance company can increase your chances of success in a bicycle accident claim. A lawyer can offer legal guidance to protect your right to compensation for injuries and other losses.
- Contact your insurance company: After obtaining legal counsel from a bicycle accident lawyer, notify your insurance company of the accident.
The Nampa bicycle accident lawyers at Feller & Wendt are well-versed in Idaho’s bicycle laws and can handle all aspects of your claim, including negotiating with the insurance company. We have the resources and skills to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Recoverable Damages in a Successful Bicycle Accident Claim
If you suffered injuries in a bicycle accident in Nampa due to the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages for your injuries. In a successful bicycle accident claim, recoverable damages may include the following:
- Medical expenses: This includes all medical bills related to the accident, such as emergency room visits, doctor’s appointments, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If injuries prevent you from returning to work, you may recover lost wages or damages related to a loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: You may recover compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, mental anguish, and other non-economic losses resulting from the accident.
- Property damages: If your bike was damaged in the accident, you may recover the cost of repairs or replacement.
It is essential to speak with an experienced Nampa bicycle accident attorneys to determine the full extent of damages you may be entitled to recover. Without a lawyer on your side, insurance companies may lowball your settlement or deny your claim.
Speak With the Bicycle Accident Lawyers at Feller & Wendt
Bicycle accidents may be devastating, resulting in serious injuries that impact your ability to enjoy everyday activities or return to work. The bicycle accident lawyers at Feller & Wendt fight on your behalf to ensure your legal rights are protected and offer skilled guidance every step of the way so you can recover the full extent of the compensation you deserve.