Meridian Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Drunk Driving Accident Attorney in Meridian
Getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while drunk is not not only illegal but dangerous to the driver and any other drivers or pedestrians in the vicinity. The legal blood alcohol content or BAC is 0.08 percent in Idaho. Unfortunately, despite this law, there are still over 10,000 deaths per year caused by drunk driving. If a driver causes an accident with a BAC higher than the legal limit, they may be charged with a DUI and may be held responsible for any losses suffered in an accident they caused. To help build your drunk driving injury claim, you may want to partner with an experienced team of Meridian attorneys who understand drunk driving accidents.
Feller & Wendt, LLC is a team of award-winning injury lawyers helping victims of Meridian, Idaho who are dealing with drunk drivers. With over 30 years of combined experience, our seasoned legal team provides our clients with dedicated and personalized representation. Understanding Idaho’s complex laws involving drunk driving may be stressful, but our knowledgeable lawyers are here to provide you with trusted legal counsel as you go against the aggressive insurance providers.
How Does Alcohol Impair Someone’s Ability to Drive?
Drinking alcohol is something many people do at social events, bars, or clubs. If you are over the age of 21, you can legally consume alcohol, but if you plan to drink more than two drinks, you should not plan to drive yourself home. The reason it is illegal to drive a vehicle with a blood alcohol content of over 0.08 percent in Idaho is that alcohol has adverse effects on a person’s driving abilities:
- Vision: Drivers who consume extensive amounts of alcohol may experience fuzzy or blurry vision, making it difficult to see the road clearly.
- Reaction time: Alcohol is a depressive drug, making reflexes slower. Driver’s need to be alert, and alcohol prevents that, which is why it is so important not to drive while drunk.
- Spatial awareness: When a driver is drunk, they may not have the ability to understand how much space is between them and another vehicle on the road with them.
- Coordination: Alcohol may impair a driver’s coordination, making them very dangerous if they get behind the wheel.
All drivers have a responsibility to one another to operate their vehicles in a reasonably safe manner. When a driver knowingly gets behind the wheel of a vehicle while drunk, they have failed to uphold that responsibility.
Common Accidents Caused By Drunk Driving in Meridian
When a person’s blood alcohol content is above the legal limit, they may become impaired and lose their ability to operate a motor vehicle safely. Some common car accidents that occur due to a drunk driver include:
- Head-on collisions: When a driver comes straight at another driver and crashes into the front of their vehicle. This type of accident may be deadly for the drivers and passengers in the front seat.
- Rear-end collisions: When a driver is impaired due to alcohol, they may not see a vehicle stop in front of them and crash into the back of their car.
- Striking pedestrians: With impaired vision and slower reaction time, a drunk driver may hit a pedestrian and cause severe injury or death.
- Wrong-way accidents: This may occur when a driver is on the wrong side of the road going the wrong way or going the wrong way down a one-way street.
- Sideswipes: Drunk drivers are known to swerve while driving and may swerve into another lane, hitting the side of another vehicle.
While a drunk driving accident may happen to anyone when least expected, knowing what to look out for may help avoid a deadly crash.
Common Drunk Driving Accident Injuries
Drunk driving accidents are known to be highly damaging to the people involved. Some common injuries suffered by victims include:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Loss of limbs
- Cuts or lacerations
- Internal bleeding
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
No matter how minor or severe your injuries are, if you have been the victim of a drunk driving accident, you may be entitled to collect damages for the losses you may have suffered.
Meridian Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Are Here to Help
Drunk driving is a form of negligence that occurs all too often. Often resulting in serious injuries or death, it is essential that people obey the law to avoid driving under the influence of alcohol. If you have been injured in a Meridian drunk driving accident, you may want to partner with an experienced drunk driving injury lawyer.
Feller & Wendt, LLC is a team of personal injury lawyers with experience helping victims of Meridian. With over 30 years of providing our clients with award-winning representation and knowledgeable legal counsel, we are proud to help clients get their lives back on track. For a free consultation, contact us here or call (208) 591-6776.