Meridian Dog Bite Lawyer
Dogs are known to be man’s best friend. Due to this common stereotype, most people assume that a dog is friendly and walk right up to pet it. While many dogs may look friendly and inviting, some are not. Each year in the United States, 4.5 million individuals become victims of a dog bite. When a dog bite occurs, victims may be left shocked and unsure of what to do next. These situations may be hard for victims, especially if the animal was the pet of a friend or family member. Still, it is important that you are compensated for any losses you have endured due to the injury.
Feller & Wendt, LLC is an award-winning dog bite injury firm with experience helping victims of Meridian, Idaho . Our attorneys offer our clients over 30 years of combined experience and knowledge as we provide them with top-of-the-line legal counsel. Idaho’s laws concerning dog bite injuries are complex and may be confusing. That is why we take the time to help our clients understand the laws and how we plan to help them build a solid injury claim. We are proud to provide our clients with the personalized care and dedicated representation they deserve.
What is the Law Concerning Dog Bites in Idaho?
If you have recently been bit by a dog and are considering filing an injury claim, understanding the law concerning a dog bite injury in Idaho may be helpful to your claim. In almost all cases, the owner of the dog is liable for their pet biting another person. This is unless the dog is a police dog, and the dogs must still meet the following criteria:
- The dog must be trained
- The injury must take place while the dog is assisting an officer in an arrest or maintaining public order
The victim of the bite does not have to prove that the dog was vicious or that the owner had knowledge the dog was vicious in their claim. Additionally, while most states will not hold an owner liable until the dog has bit the victim a second time, in Idaho, an owner may be charged for the first bite.
What Should You Do After a Dog Bite?
Most victims are not expecting to be bitten by an aggressive dog. After the shock of what happened wears off, the following steps should be taken immediately after a dog bite:
- Wash the Wound: Dogs have different bacteria in their mouths than humans do. To prevent infection, you should find soap and water and immediately wash the wound.
- Seek Medical Attention: Especially in cases where you are profusely bleeding, you should seek medical attention to make sure there is no severe damage. If there is, then a doctor will be able to treat you accordingly.
- Identify the Dog and Owner: Make sure you know whose dog it was that bit you before leaving the scene. You should also be able to identify the dog.
- Speak With Witnesses: If any witnesses approach you, get a short statement from them and their contact information.
- Get Contact Information From the Owner: Get the name, contact, and insurance information from the dog owner.
- Follow Doctor’s Orders: To help your wound heal, be sure to follow up with any needed care, treatment, medicine, or physical therapy that a doctor has prescribed to you.
- Do Not Place Blame: Owners are very protective of their pets, so you should not discuss who is at fault or place blame directly. That conversation is one to be had with a dog bite injury attorney.
If you have been the victim of a dog bite injury, you may be entitled to damages for the losses you may have suffered as a result.
Damages You May Be Eligible to Collect After a Dog Bite
After suffering a dog bite injury, you may be able to collect the following damages for your losses:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income
Our seasoned dog bite injury team may be able to help you understand what damages you may be eligible to collect based on the details of your claim.
Partner With the Experienced Meridian Dog Bite Lawyers
Suffering an injury due to a dog bite may leave victims with a long road to recovery, depending on the severity of the attack. If you have suffered losses due to a dog bite, you may want to partner with a Meridian dog bite law firm.
Feller & Wendt, LLC is an award-winning dog bite law firm with over 30 years of combined experience helping victims. With dedicated representation and personalized care, we provide our clients with the top-of-the-line service they deserve. Set up a free consultation here or call (208) 591-6776.